The Master of Engineering Technical Management (METM) program is designed for working professionals. The program provides engineering and technology professionals the business background needed to excel, such as leadership, project management, data-driven decision making, and technology commercialization.
Learn more about the METM program here.
Engineering Personal Leadership – TCMT 610
The goal of this course is to address Emotional Intelligence (EI or EQ) and develop your cognitive, emotional, and behavioral capabilities so as to help you become an effective leader. We explore the area of emotional intelligence, identify personal EQ competencies and areas for improvement, and build on these competencies and skills. Emotional Intelligence is the act of intentionally using emotions in guiding thinking and behavior and is scientifically documented as a key factor in successfully leading ourselves and others in the work environment. Emotional Intelligence, is what every leader uses to make pivotal decisions, plan projects and initiatives, solve problems, interact with clients, set performance expectations, communicate feedback, and interact with colleagues of all levels. This course combines lectures, in-class experiences, scenario discussions, reflections, partner exercises, and the practical application of learning beyond the classroom. This course focuses on both the art and science of emotional intelligence. We will work individually and in teams, use activities, discussion and reflection to attain our objectives.
- Engage in assessments to recognize areas for professional growth
- Learn the EQ Model and its competencies
- Develop greater self-awareness through best practices in feeling, thinking, and behaving to become a more effective and authentic leader
- Learn how to manage your emotional intelligently
- Develop and improving interpersonal communications and Empathic communication skills
- Gain skills to apply emotional intelligence strategies to specific workplace challenges.
- Create a personalized leadership development plan which identifies your strengths and unique contributions